[Diy_efi] Lead fuel compatible O2 sensor

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Mon Jul 4 03:57:40 UTC 2005

--- Phillip Kuhn <pmkls1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> wrong way. However, as an employee of GM I can
> assure you that the term lambada

"Lambada" is a dance.  I am thinking again that you
mean "lambda".  :D

> is used to describe a wb o2 sensors, just to show Im
> not speaking out of my butt

I never said you were speaking out your butt, nor did
I say who did or did not use the term "lambda" in what
regard.  I said I'd never *heard* of it used that way,
while I knew it was used extensively over a fairly
long time period to refer to NBO2 sensors.

> I am not sure what website that you searched

I posted the URL along with the search.
http://www.cadillac.com

> but usually info like that isnt available in a
> general search for GM at least as they are
> incredibly secretive.

The build a lean-burn vehicle and don't brag about it
getting great gas mileage and being good for the
environment?  That sounds a bit dubious to me.

> BTW I dont race anything that doesnt run on pump gas
> so I dont need anything such as egt readings,

Now I'm really confused.  The utility of EGT readings
has nothing to do with what sort of fuel you're using
(although all other things being equal, different
fuels will often give different EGTs, assuming we are
talking about a spread like pump gas/race
gas/alcohol/nitromethane, etc., and not just premium
vs. regular unleaded pump gas).

> And although you are correct about a leaner mixture
> running cooler you can determine variations in
> such by measuring temp at each individual
> cylinder......

You can tell if all the cylinders are doing the same
thing or not, that is true.  However, I would think of
something like that being more of a setup and
diagnostics tool, as if you're racing, you really
ought to have cylinder to cylinder variations dialed
out long before you start tuning to make best power.
If you're not, then you're also not using EGT for each
cylinder.

Here's an interesting question for all those who
believe that O2 sensors, whether they be WB or NB, are
the ultimate arbiter for determining absolute AFR:

If you take a given engine and measure output from an
O2 sensor at a certain engine speed and throttle
position (the engine being held at that point by an
eddy current brake or similar), and then you retard
the ignition timing by 15 degrees but leave EVERYTHING
ELSE alone (fueling, load, engine speed), what will
happen to the reading from your O2 sensor?

| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |