[Diy_efi] MEMCAL Swap

Lee M. Lemoine llemoine
Tue Jul 26 23:33:39 UTC 2005

Hey Joel,

What i'd reccomend doing is finding a few PROM files for your engine
in 'stock' trim...  ie:  N/A W41 engine, or just a regular 2.4 for
that matter...   and disconnect the chargepipe from the turbo, and run
a stock MAP sensor -- see if it runs 'decent' to verify your ECM's
working alright. (don't step on it TOO hard if you've got the turbo on
the manifold, don't want to overspool it)  I had to revert back to
this at one point and realized that my EST bypass wasn't working with
my new chip... (and i couldn't get teh program to remap it to a pin
that i could find!!!)

Then, compare your timing tables, etc etc -- and move onto trying to
load the lotus chip into your car.  As long as both are either MAP/MAP
or MAF/MAF, they should work alright -- I reccomend trying out "GMPCM"
for BIN/ECU editing, you should be able to find the raw timing numbers
quite easily, as you will the correction maps for knock control, and
fueling.

Anyways, it sounds like you've got the right formula already --
picking an engine with close fueling requirements is a good start --
I'd try and find out what kind of injectors the lotus engine was using
and find a set around here, that should at least bring the fueling
table somewhere *around* where it should be...

BTW:  I always wanted a turbo w41.  Congrats, i'm jealous.

-- Lee
1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible
w/ '90 McLaren 3.1 Intercooled Turbo @ 10 psi, 5 speed & Haltech
engine management