[Diy_efi] Link for greenfire spark plugs...

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Thu Jun 9 01:35:16 UTC 2005

--- Ernest Buckler <ebuckler at icehouse.net> wrote:

> OK, let's get this straight: The science behind
> these plugs is NOT shakey at all, it is perfectly
> sound:

On what do you base that contention?  I have to
disagree rather vehemently.

> A spark ignites a flame in a small semi-seperate
> chamber, this flame grows and then shoots out of
> holes into the main chamber and ignites a very lean
> mix that could not otherwise be ignited by a single
> spark.

That's not what these plugs claim to do.  That's what
a simple stratified charge engine does, though.

> Don't be bad-mouthing a new/different approach that
> has thousands of hours behind it, created &
> tested by intelligent men, just because YOU fail to
> understand it.

What on earth are you talking about?  Certainly not
these spark plugs...

> For another example, there's a company in Sand
Point,
> Idaho, that has GLOW PLUGS running in standard
> engines, getting excellent results that I have seen
> with my own eyes. They are being fought to the death
> by Champion, Bosche, NGK, etc. No igniton system, no
> distributor, just 12v until the engine is warm,
> turn off power to the plugs, engine continues to run
> and perform just fine.

You're saying that they take otherwise normal SI
gasoline engines and remove the ignition system, and
instead insert glow plugs that run the engine until
warm, at which time the engine runs as a diesel using
pump gasoline?  There's got to be a major piece
missing in that puzzle, because that's physically
impossible (continual compression ignition or hot-spot
"dieseling" of a regular SI engine will destroy it in
fairly short order).

> He refuses to sell to these big mfgrs. because they
> all make his royalty money dependent on number of
> plugs sold, and not one of them will guarantee
> to market his plug; meaning that they merely want to
> PREVENT them from getting on the market.

Unless they are demanding exclusive rights to market
the plugs as part of the agreements, he can sell them
however he wants, whether they use them or not.

> He has these plugs running in aircraft (!!!), and I
> know the pilots, they love them.

Not cerificated aircraft, as that would be a violation
of FAA regulations.  These must be experimental
aircraft, and those generally run auto or motorcycle
engines.

I'm still missing something in the puzzle of how these
things supposedly operate, though.

> These plugs will fire kerosene, alcohol, diesel, jet
> fuel, propane, all in the same engine.

That's truly astonishing.  Perhaps you can arrange a
demonstration for me?  I'd love to write an article
about this.

> I am also sure they are very extremely depressed
> that they didn't think to include spark ignition
> engines in their patents, because the flame pattern
> looks EXACTLY like that of the Greenfire plugs

Wait...  They developed a device that is for SI
engines, but they specifically did NOT include SI
engines in the patent?

How curious...

> the glow-plug design controls TIMING by the size and
> shape of the internal holes &  venturi(s)

So the timing is "static", with the only variables
being the burn rate of the mixture and its
compression/dilution?  Since timing is required to
advance with engine speed in SI engines, you're saying
they mechanically change the shape and size of their
plugs while inside the engine, somehow connecting this
to engine speed?

> Proven beyond a doubt

Since you seem to be indicating that they violate a
number of the laws of physics, I have to question how
they could be "proven beyond a doubt".  Either there
is some major part of the puzzle not being spoken of,
or the claims are false.

| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |