[Diy_efi] Link for greenfire spark plugs...

Bernd Felsche bernie
Thu Jun 9 04:46:46 UTC 2005

On Thursday 09 June 2005 11:29, Geoff Harrison wrote:
> Bret, and others, the site does state the "independent bodies" and
> quotes,
>
> ""Preliminary tests at EPA Australia in conjunction with the CSIRO**
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
> using unleaded fuel demonstrated reduction of carcinogenic toluene and
> benzene of greater percentage magnitude than overall HC reductions.

Break! OK... so what does that mean? Does it mean that HC reductions
in general weren't as great as those of toluene and benzene? i.e.
doesn't that simply mean that "Greenfire" is less effective at reducing
total HC?

Just looking at the spin from the other side. :-)

Throwing in the term "carcinogenic" should set off the snakeoil
warning bells. There's no need to include fear-inducing terms when
talking about the level of emissions.

> Using a variety of fuels, Greenfire reduces pollutants and is livelier in

Testing showed that it reduced some pollutants more than others.

> response when fitted to almost any I.C. engine - rich or lean burn,
> stratified, DFI/GDI, carburetted, rotary, 2-stroke, 4-stroke, even air
> cooled small engines.

But the *testing* didn't show that. Nor would it reasonably be
tested in such a range of engines. Especially if the plugs aren't
being manufactured.

> *Tested under CFR regulation 40, parts 86 and 600 (mobile sources) &
> SAEJ1088 for fixed static state operation in certified independent
> laboratories in USA, UK and Australia.
> **Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (Australian
> Government body)..""

Cars tend not to have constant-speed engines.

Orbital has a composite plug with (air-assisted) injector for direct
injection... also not yet in production. Only by combining the
injector and plug, is it possible to ensure that the rich mixture
will be in the spark gap for ignition at the right time over a range
of speeds and loads.

> I too tend to be sceptical on such things. As such I look for more
> evidence before buying. But also give a concept merit if I see fit. I
> haven't delved into the principles of the device, but it looks like a
> hi-tech glow plug. Which they (Greenfire) are comparing to 100 yo tech
> spark plugs. Didn't the diesel come before the petrol engine? So how old
> are glow plugs?

Not very: If you compare the modern one to an old one.
Same goes for spark plugs.