[Diy_efi] Newb tuner

Michael Richards michael
Fri Jun 17 07:55:51 UTC 2005

> How effectively can you tune a mildly boosted modern efi car with just
> a wide-band o2 sensor, data logger, and with or without an
> accelerometer like g-tech.  Is it generally safe to just shoot for a
> specific air fuel ratio and leave the stock timing alone by just
> pulling a bit out as boost goes up? or Do you really need a dyno to be
> just safe, rather than ultimately fast?

Yes it's generally pretty safe to do it that way. Ignition is usually
less forgiving of errors than mixture. I would recommend pulling about
0.75 degrees of timing per PSI of boost. Anything about 2-3PSI of boost
you will want to shoot for 11:1 AFR. This is conservative but it should
get you in the ballpark.

-Michael