[Diy_efi] Motorola datasheets

WSCowell at aol.com WSCowell
Fri May 6 08:01:25 UTC 2005

I used to design machines with these controllers.  We used the Hitachi
versions in CMOS:  "68" means it was made in NMOS technology, "63" means  CMOS.
Try a web search for data sheets for the HD6301 or HD6303.  You  will find
various suffixes, depending on the temperature range, chip packaging,  amount of
ROM/RAM, and other characteristics.

If you see XX63A01yyy  the A in the middle means a slightly higher  clock
speed:  4Mhz instead of 2or 2.5.  A 'B' in there means  8MHz, the part I used to
work with.  A "7" immediately following means the  ROM on board is an EPROM.

Some parts had one-time programmable ROMs instead.  You get the  benefit of
the EPROM version - no mask ROM setup costs - without the cost of the
reprogrammable part.  Obviously, the EPROM devices restricted the range of  package
options because of the need for the UV program erasure window on the  top.

Ultimately, you will have to find out who made the parts you are looking at
though, this will explain the lettering before the "6801/3" bit.  Only  they
will be able to say what their particular lettering after the '6801/3" bit
means.

Unfortunately I threw away massive data handbooks for these devices a  couple
of years ago, as I thought I would never need the information again for  such
obsolete devices!  Happy hunting!

Will Cowell