[Diy_efi] Re: [Wbo2] Newbie questions

R P Davis ryan.p.davis
Sun May 15 01:14:49 UTC 2005

James,
I do not see why you think a bypass filter is bad. A bypass filter
does not replace a standard full flow oil filter. What is does do is
it diverts a small percentage (about 10%)  of the oil flow either thru
a dual remote (puts both full flow & bypass on one assembly & atatches
to the block) or a standalone bypass atatched to the pressure sender
on the engine block. With the diverted oil it filters it down to
1/10th of a micron (standard oil fitlers are in the 20+- micron range,
any smaller and you get oil starvation problems). According to the
poduct info in about 5 minutes at appox 45mph a 6 qt system can be
cleaned (what is in the m20 engine + the additional filter + in my car
that'd be 5th gear and 1900 rpms). It also absorbs water that enters
oil (either as a combustion bypoduct or as condensation from
temperature extremes). That will prevent rust and corrosion and the pH
of the oil from changing. That is why once I fix the leaks I will
convert the engine to Amsoil synthetic 10w30 and go 25K miles between
oil changes. On my 85 325e I purchased it at 145K miles and switched
it to Amsoil 10w30 and used their XL-7500 series oil for 7500 mile oil
drains. The engine has 204K miles on it now and the compression is
within 10% of factory specs just like my 325iX engine at 215K miles.
My wife's 86 535i I bought with a broken odometer that read 168K
miles. I purchased a used unit that read 171K miles. I drove the car
to 196K miles when it got into an accident. I used Amsoil 20w50 in the
summer and 5w30 in the winter in that engine. I estimated the engine
had over 210K miles on it when I purchased it (based off of the 2
previous owners both owned it w/ a broken odo and told me their normal
driving habbits). So at an estimated 235K miles the m30 engine didn't
leak or burn a drop of synthetic oil and I could get 27 mpg out of it
using stock size tires (TRX metric ones).

Thanks for the info about the AFM. I've swapped the internals around
between m30 and m20 AFM's before and I have not had a problem. All you
do is take the electronic board from the m20 AFM and install it in the
m30 AFM. No need to re-callibrate or burn a new chip. I've been
talking to quite a few people and decided not to go with a MAF for the
car, as my wife will be driving it and won't know how to tune it if
things do not go well.

After checking a few tire size calculators (verify they all had the
same results w/ same data) the stock tire for the 89 325iX is
205/55/R15 and I'm running a 215/60-14. That gives me a 1.2%
difference. So 100 miles on stock is = to 98.8 miles on the new size
tires. I'm going by distance traveled between fillups on the odometer
as the 89 iX does not have the obc that comes with othe e30's and
e28's.

Others, thanks for the input I'll avoid the HYPER ground and voltage
kits. I'll just clean up all the grounds on my car and check for stray
voltage (goto volts and put one lead on engine block and 1 lead on
grounding point and crank engine, if you see voltage then the ground
is not good, much more reliable than a continuity check).

Too bad I can't go with a wbo2 on this car. I'll look into the
megasquirt kit. Do they have one that replaces the ecu entirely and
uses it's own o2 sensor say a wbo2?

~ryan