[Diy_efi] A/F mixture, EGT and engine damage

gary gas-
Tue May 17 22:55:54 UTC 2005

> The table I posted was running with a narrow band O2 sensor.
> I am pretty sure this is the worst case EGT as 1663 F is the
> highest I have ever seen on this bike.

Are you stating you are using a NB O2 sensor to do your tuning
with?  *IF* that is the case, you can forget about obtaining
reasonably accurate info, as far as AFR is concerned.  Figuring
you are using the more common 'Nernst' cell sensor, whether it
is of the single or multi wire variety, (single being worse) the sensor
will be too temperature dependant/influenced, to depend on for
worthwhile data.  The NB sensor is designed to be accurate,
(as a glorified switch only), around .45 volts, which is the
stochiometric ratio of 14.7.  The further (either direction) from
14.7, the more error prone (and unreliable) the sensor becomes.
If you at all serious in regards to achieving accurate data to use
for diagnosing, a WB sensor and controller is a necessity.

> As far as cruise I have experimented with running LOP 15.6:1
> or so. I get some surging at lower speeds and some pretty high
> EGTs. A/F seem to be all over the place(~14.5:1 - ~17:1).

Again, *IF* this is with a NB, I wouldn't give ya 3? for the accuracy
of that data.  Accuracy aside, even for the use of comparison, as
that sensor is too influenced by temp, I couldn't/wouldn't rely on it.
:shrug:

GAS