[Diy_efi] A/F mixture, EGT and engine damage

Tim Marsteiner tmarstei
Tue May 17 02:50:21 UTC 2005

Yes, for this engine the 13.2:1 is a good deal leaner
than need be at wot. I have run as low as 11.5:1 at
wot with good power and EGTs below 1400. That's a no
brainer.

At cruise it gets a bit more complicated. The table I
posted was running with a narrow band O2 sensor. I am
pretty sure this is the worst case EGT as 1663 F is
the highest I have ever seen on this bike.

I guess my question was not so much if either of these
is ok, but rather which might be causing the most
problems. What I am hearing is that to optimize engine
life I ought to eliminate both and as long as I stay
above 10:1 or so I should be ok in terms of wall wash.

Here are the results of my fix (pretty fast huh!?:). I
attacked both issues. WOT stays below 1400 F and
cruise stays below 1450 F.

http://www.superxtune.com/images/EGT0505Cyl2_egt.jpg

I will be honest though I have not seen a huge
reduction in cylinder head temps. Perhaps 10-15 F
reduction. It does take longer to heat up though. This
agrees with John Deakin's article "Mixture Magic".

http://tinyurl.com/cb287

So I think the WOT part of the above tune is good
except for maybe some fine tuning on a dyno and maybe
some more ignition advance.

As far as cruise I have experimented with running LOP
15.6:1 or so. I get some surging at lower speeds and
some pretty high EGTs. A/F seem to be all over the
place(~14.5:1 - ~17:1). Probably due to the ECU using
alpha-N control or perhaps that pesky IAT heat soak
problem. I will keep working on this to see if I can
stabilize the mixture LOP and lower CHT a bit as Mr.
Deakin's results indicate.

Thanks,
Tim