[Diy_efi] Making a fake O2

RogeranCarol rogerancarol
Sat May 28 16:08:48 UTC 2005

Not sure what would happen with your particular ECM/PCM if you disconnect the O2 sensor.
If I disconnect mine before going  closed loop, no DTC is set. After all, the system
is looking for a varying O2 input as a condition for going closed loop.
I think if you stay in open loop your system will depend on MAP, TPS, and ECT for fuel table use.
I've also read that the catalytic converter needs Rich/lean AFM to function properly.
Another way to "disable" the O2 sensor is to use an EPROM intended for leaded fuel. Example
would be BDWB used in '93-'95 5.7L trucks. Either way, I think Block Lear (BLM) would also be
disabled--not good. You could run closed loop until BLM data is updated to current status, the run
open loop.
Roger
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Marcello A. Belloli
  To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
  Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 9:31 PM
  Subject: [Diy_efi] Making a fake O2

  Hello everyone,
       I have been trying to figure out how to make a computer run on its
  base fuel map, and not use the O2 sensor.  I was wondering if it
  might be possible to send a signal that looks like perfect mixture
  all the time?  A signal that looks like no adjustment need to be
  made.  You could put this in place of the O2, so you could see the
  fuel map output without correction.  Is this possible?  I'm figuring
  do a reset of the computer and install this device.  Then take all
  your readings.  What does everyone think?  Am I a crazy?

  Thanks,

  Marcello