[Diy_efi] oil press.

Lee M. Lemoine llemoine
Tue Nov 15 20:49:53 UTC 2005

Are you losing a lot of oil out the exhaust? That'll be your first
indicator, just keep an eye on the rearview. A little oil makes a lot of
smoke, trust me... That's about right on par with the pricing here in the
US, my friend just bought one for about $75 USD on sale at Jegs...

As far as the idiot light goes, you can also make a warning light when the
pressure gets low using an adjustable "idiot" sender unit. So that it kicks
in at a 'higher' pressure so to speak. Say under 30 psi or so... It's a
thought. I'm a full-time firefighter, we have low oil alarms on our trucks
that flash two segments (right near the directional indicator arrows
actually) on either side of the instrument cluster, as well as sounding a
klaxon siren -- its all in how you want to tailor the application...

--LL

On 11/15/05, Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> Lee M. Lemoine wrote:
> > There are several types of these available from manufacturers such as
> > VDO, Autometer, and your local pepboys/autozone can probably order them
> > too ;)
>
> Yes, I located one, but its about 40ukp. That seems on the high side to
> me, but I know nothing about them.
>
> I also dont know which makes are good or not. If I have to pay ~40ukp
> for one, I'd prefer to get a cheap, basic, but decent quality unit than
> an overpriced novelty toy.
>
> I want it so I can keep an eye on my ratty turbo. I know its bearing is
> bad, so I'd like to know when it starts to give up the ghost. I'd prefer
> to find out *before* the idiot light tells me my engine is wrecked.
>
> As such, a podded one I can clip to the dash / door pillar would be
> preferred.
>
> Thanks :)

Sincerely,

Lee M. Lemoine