[Diy_efi] AIR fitting

David Allen davida1
Sat Sep 10 14:16:49 UTC 2005

> By the way, if you're interested in removing the AIR pump from a Chevy
> 4.3/5.0/5.7 but don't think you can because the belt would interfere
> with itself, there's an article on thirdgen.org that shows a different
> routing with a slightly longer belt that works great.

  The alternate routing works great.  I choose to place a metal "stiffener"
bar in the AIR pump position to support the now empty aluminum bracket.  It
has no effect on belt routing, just helps to dampen a vibration in the A/C
compressor (diretly above AIR pump location on same bracket).

  At first I had an idler on that bar but it didn't make much difference so
I took it off.  I was trying to fix a belt slippage problem that turned out
to be an overloaded A/C compressor.  The problem was fixed after replacing
the a sorry, weak electric cooling fan that didn't pull much air through the
condenser.

  With the serpentine belt system, belt alignment can be a pain when
modifying.  After replacing the alternator with an oversize unit and
retrofitting a V5 variable displacement A/C compressor, it took some playing
around to get the belt to run without chirping or running off the waterpump
pulley!

  The links below show the original all-fated attempt with the R4
compressor, idler, and uselessly weak electric fan.  The second link shows
the current no-AIR pump belt routing. You can't see all the routing, though.
FYI the belt part number written on the tensioner would only apply if you
have a small-pulley A/C clutch and a CS144 alternator.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1/305tbiht.htm  <-this fan sucks.  Actually
the problem is; it DOESN'T suck...
http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1/fan2.htm  <- This fan rocks!