[Diy_efi] Question about TBI fuel pressure

Fehn, Ron G RFEHN
Thu Sep 22 15:23:05 UTC 2005

the walbro 190 is the favorite for thirdgen.org members over stock TBI
or even TPI.  occasionally there is a group buy.  may be on now?  do a
search.

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]
On Behalf Of Charles M Slack, III
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:20 AM
To: jimkyser at ieee.org; diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Question about TBI fuel pressure

Jim, Use an older in tank fuel pump and sensor form a Buick or some
other GM. The TBI
components used on the GM trucks & cars  from ~ 87 on are very plentiful

& cheap.
The Aztec pump you are contemplating is a pump& fuel level sensor
combined that
is very pricey.  The in tank GM TBI fuel pumps can be purchased for $28
to $45,
you also need to scour a few junque(high class junk) yards for various
other TBI
components.  Most TBI & TPI use a fuel pressure regulator that you will
also need.
Don't forget to run a return fuel line back to the fuel tank, the unused

fuel is
circulated back to the tank.  Look at access to the fuel tank pump &
level sensor,
you may have to make a covered opening to gain access later on, much
easier than dropping the tank.
Good Luck,
Charlie Slack
65 TBird
Austin, TX

Jim Kyser wrote:

> I am adapting a TBI system to my 1946 Willys Jeep with a Buick V6.
> (yeah, I know I could adapt a Buick TPI setup but the parts are much
> more expensive)
>
> My question regards fuel pressure. I would ideally like to run an
> intank pump and am looking at the pump from a Pontiac Aztek.
> Basically, the pump and fuel level sensor are all mounted together in
> an assembly that bolts in from the top of the tank though the typical
> large opening. The problem is that the Aztek pump is for a TPI setup
> and puts out upwards of 40 PSI. I know that the TBI systems need more
> like 5 PSI. Could I just put a regulator inline to drop the pressure
> down?
If you do not want to receive future unsolicited commercial email
advertisements or promotions from American Family you may opt-out
by visiting the following website:
<https://www3.dncsolution.com/SSL/DNESolution/OptOutCode/OptOut.aspx?el=5 >
Note: After opting-out, you may receive emails that you have
specifically requested from American Family.  If you are a current
American Family customer, you may still receive transactional emails
regarding your existing policies or accounts with American Family.
American Family Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates utilize
the PossibleNow DNESolution to administer this email opt-out process.