[Diy_efi] Timing

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Wed Sep 28 17:52:09 UTC 2005

--- Bret Levandowski <skishop69 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My question is in regards to the static, vacuum and
> mechanical advance compnents of the timing table.
> How do you know when you have the right amount of
> each without using a dyno?

The easiest way to separate vacuum from mechanical is
that mechanical is more or less the "base map" for use
at full throttle.  The vacuum advance increases as the
throttle opening closes, which compensates for the
reduced burn rate in the less-dense charge in the
cylinders.

Are you sure you have your "accelerator pump" setting
for fueling correct?  If the engine is going lean when
you whomp on the pedal it will cause knock as well,
even if your timing curve should be in the ballpark.

| Honda GL500 Interstate (Slug)    Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |