[Diy_efi] Zinc and o2 sensors

David Allen davida1
Fri Feb 3 05:12:49 UTC 2006

  I have used Rotella exclusively in my 72 Nova (with an EFI engine) and had
no O2 sensor troubles, and in my turbocharged Century (over 100,000 miles)
and had no short-lived O2 sensors, and in my mother's 89 LeSabre, (350,000
miles) with no short-lived O2 sensors and still the original cat.
  People can say what they want but experience doesn't lie.  Rotella oil
does not cause problems in a gasoline engine, in fact it is one of the best
oils around.  It is API rated for use in gas engines.
  David

I have heard that using rotella and other diesel engine oils in gasoline
engines will make the motor last longer because of the higher zinc content.
I have also heard that this will kill o2 sensors and catalytic converters.
My application will not have cats but it will have an o2 sensor.  Do any of
you guys know if this is true or not?  The motor is freshly rebuilt so there
really wont be any blow by.  Let me know what you guys think.  Thanks -
Justin