[Diy_efi] Dead cold rough idle

mrfun71 mrfun71
Fri Feb 17 21:39:02 UTC 2006

After going to the Holley throttle body and edelbrock intake, I lost the warming of the TBI that is normally there with the stock intake.  This caused a rough idle between 5 and 10 minutes into the runtime cold.  You can physically see the icing around the edges of the throttle bores and plates. Mine would actually get so bad, it would stall out.  I had to purchase a TBI to carb intake adapter plate that was heated by coolant.  Holley makes this unit for this exact reason.  If you are using a factory intake and non-modified TBI, this shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it still exists.  Another thing is to make sure you use an enclosed air cleaner during the cold months,  one that still has the stovepipe that hooks to the exhaust manifold.  Get some warmer air up to the TBI.  An open element air filter makes everything worse when it is colder.

Andy
82 Z28 Camaro built 355
87 Z24 Cavalier 2.8 stock
90 Lumina 3.1 stock
93 Fullsize Blazer custom built Vortec Holley TBI
http://www.bds-suspension.com/pride_joy151.html

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lee M. Lemoine
  To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
  Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 3:40 PM
  Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Dead cold rough idle

  I guess thats also possible..  it seems to be odd that it idles up fine, but then after the cold start enrich decays off, it starts this problem..

  On 2/17/06, Rick McLeod <dunvegan at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    Icing is a good potential, a lot of throttle bodies
    have a pre-heat of some kind, the TPI on GM
    Camaro/Vette 85-92 era had a water line that was sort
    of the bypas hose circuit, many folks (myself
    included) have passed a copper pipe under the Throttle
    Body for summer use, and just move the hose from the
    Body to the pipe and back every fall/spring. That way
    you get the de-icer in the winter and not in summer.

    just an idea, my memories of my old VW icing up at
    idle even after engine warmed up, usually forgotten to
    unlock the air diverters for carb intake preheat from
    summer mode, It was a simple solution but extremely
    elegant in function. You may never see frost or icing,
    it may be occuring inside the passages, but will wreak
    havoc with idle if it is occuring.

    Good luck!

    --- Torbj?rn Forsman <torbjorn.forsman at gengas.nu >