[Diy_efi] EFI lift pumps to swirl pot?

Jay Rabe jayrabe
Tue Feb 21 21:19:26 UTC 2006

There is a test of a few different pumps at different pressures and
voltages,

  http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

  Its not exactly what you are looking for, but might help.  The purpose of
a swirl pot or surge tank is to be sure your engine keeps its fuel pressure
up when there are serious fuel demands and high g's going on moving the fuel
around the tank.  Basicly if you have a 1/4 or lower tank of gas, and drive
your car hard its possible the fuel sloshes away from your pump and the pump
sucks air,  if there is a big fuel demand you could have just leaned out
and possibly killed your engine.  The surge tank is a backup to prevent
this.
  The in tank pump you need is a low pressure high flow unit.  Not very
common at all.  The only cars i can think of are late 80's vw's, they had in
tank transfer pumps, but i have no idea of their flow capabilities.  I'd say
to either test one of these for flow (can buy them new for about $70) and
maybe put 2 in your tank or do the same # of walbro pumps in the fuel tank
as in the surge tank.   I'm not positive how long the walbros would last
without pressure on them, they might be fine, but they might want to see
some pressure on them, sorry, i'm not sure on that.