[Diy_efi] Adding headers to GM TBI system

Jason M. galaxiecustom500
Fri Jun 30 19:27:40 UTC 2006

I'd say go for it.  I did.

Put a set of summit headers on my 92 caprice with TBI 305.  The headers were
actually for monte carlo/cutlass/malibu so I had to cut the collector off
the driverside to change the angle.  and flatten part of a tube and the
collector on the passenger side to get them to fit.  Also had to make my own
Y-pipe (two 2.5'' U-bends).

Seems to have lost a little bit of low end torque but now has more top end.
Pre-headers it had nothing after 4200 rpm.  Post-headers it will pull strong
to 5000 rpm.

I also gained 1mpg and dropped 3 tenths off my 1/4 mile ET, gained 3mph.

As far as what the ecm sees, I've hooked up auto x-ray and all data looks
just like before.  No trouble codes set.  In my application the only things
that the engine should really see a change on is less egr flow since the
valve needs back pressure to open, and the oxygen sensor moves from the
front of the exhaust manifold collector to the rear of the headers
collector.

I've heard some estimates/opinions that the stock TBI system can handle
about 25-30 hp gains through cam/intake/exhaust before the stock tuning is
so far out that it won't run right.  Of course with tuning you'd probably
get a few more hp out of that mechanical gain.

At any rate, just change it, worst thing that can happen is you have to do a
little tuning.