[Diy_efi] two part ect sensor Q

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Tue Mar 14 17:15:44 UTC 2006

1) At least on european GM cars, the sensor for the coolant temp gauge
is a NTC thermistor of about 500-1000 ohms at +25 ?C. Usually, the gauge
is a bimetal type which is supplied by stabilized +10 V.
It is simple to figure out the characteristic of the gauge by connecting
various fixed resistors instead of the sensor and watch the reading. The
sensor is simply connected in series with the heating resistor for the
bimetal element. If you can remove the gauge block and measure the
resistance of the heating resistor, then the sensor should probably have
about the same resistance when the gauge reads mid-range.

2) If you need an ECT sensor with M12 x 1,5 thread for a GM injection
system, then you can use either a Bosch 0 280 130 026 (very common on
cars from the 80's with Bosch injection systems) or a GM 25036898 or
25037062. The GM sensors are normally marked with just the four last
digits. Although the caracteristic is not exactly the same for the Bosch
sensor, the difference is nothing to bother about in practice.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman