[Diy_efi] Is E85 worth it?

Ian Molton spyro
Wed Sep 6 16:21:13 UTC 2006

Steve Ravet wrote:

> Granted, but presumably diesel and gas numbers from the EU are
> comparable to each other, as a way of seeing how clean diesels are over
> there.

And, of course, this is really only the first generation of widely
available 'clean diesels' - given another 10 years Im sure they'll be
even better...

Even now, the total environmental cost (inc. manufacture and disposal)
of a small electric/diesel hybrid is actually less than a hydrogen fuel
cell/electric hybrid, which is pretty amazing really given the 'direct
conversion' nature of a fuel cell...

No surprise we arent seeing more fuel-cell powered cars out there -
although I'd be really interested to see what becomes of the prototype
diesel powered (not hydrogen) fuel cell I saw a few years back - I
firmly believe hydrogen powered cars will never make it because hydrogen
is just too damn dangerous.

> By the way, Ian, thanks for digging up and posting those numbers.  I
> said I was willing to be convinced that VW and MB were sending their
> crappy diesels over here, it looks like that's the case.

No problem. Just didnt have the time the other day.