[Diy_efi] Is E85 worth it?

Ian Molton spyro
Wed Sep 6 18:29:57 UTC 2006

AirHawk wrote:

> Personally, *I* believe that hydrogen-powered vehicles will never make
> it, NOT because of the danger (really not any more-so than gasoline) -
> but because Hydrogen is just too damn hard to produce cheaply, and
> contain and handle easily. (I won't even go into the "energy-in, energy-
> out argument)

Er. isnt that what I just said?

Look at the average state of your typical family car. there always
_something_ wrong. Heck, _I_ look after my car and even so its usually
got some minor niggle or other once every few months...

> You buy a tank of hydrogen, you think you're gonna have it for a good
> long while? Not likely. It "finds ways" out of its containers. "I will
> not be restrained!"  ;^D

now put your slightly badly maintained hydrogen powered vehicle in a
garage, combine that with hydrogens ability to _very_ quickly diffuse in
air, and I expect you'd be in for a good few nasty 'blow the roof off
your house' type explosions a year.

And what about in an accident? sure, petrol can escape and burn, but it
rarely explodes. Put a bit of hydrogen into the cab of a vehicle and
ignite it (with say, a spark from a jumper - thats all it takes) and
you've got an explosion that will potentially liquidise the occupants.

All this talk of 'gels' that release hydrogen is all very well but at
the end of the day they have to release the stuff fast enough to run the
car and thats fast enough to be an explosion risk.

I dont know about the USA but over here hydrogen is transported in
individual cylinders, in a _very_ solid steel frame, and the
transporters arent even allowed to park in a warehouse, much less decant
the stuff in them, for fear of the consequences.

No, hydrogen isnt a viable fuel unless you're a spaceman.

Just MHO.