[Diy_efi] Converting a commodore blue 6 cylinder to efi

joe de abreu goslojo
Fri Sep 8 14:14:13 UTC 2006

I'm almost ready to convert my commodore blue 6 cylinder motor to efi, however not sure on a few things and need your help to get me started.

  Yeah I know, it's been done a thousand times before.  But no one has really explained (texts & forums) to me on how I go about telling the ecm that it's now a 6 cylinder, not a 4.

  My conversion hardware consists of a VK efi manifold, fuel rail, fuel pump, exhaust headers with O2 bung, VN throttle body with IAC, JE camira 808 ecm with wiring harness complete with all the sensors and ignition module.   And for simplicity I will be using the standard electronic dizzy with the weights locked.

  With the above, I hoping this will be enough to get my car going so that I can fine tune the ecm later by editing the camira's bin file with Tunerpro (bin editing) and WinALDL (slow 160 data logging on the fly) software.

  However, I'm not sure as to what needs doing with the ignition side of things.  Is this going to be a hardware or software issue?
  I'm guesing the dizzy will dictate the firing order, thus not a function required by the ecm.  But, how do I tell the ecm that its a 6 cylinder so that it can perform ignition functions accordingly?  Or does the 6 cylinder dizzy reluctor in conjunction with the camira's ignition module perform this function on behalf of the ecm?

  Do I need to align the dizzy with any marks (eg timing) when installing the dizzy?

  Will the standard ecm injector drivers be sufficient enough to drive two additional injectors?

  And what needs doing in regards with VSS (if its required with the camira's ecm....can't remember)?

  If you can anticipate any other problems that I may encounter, please let me know.

  I'm aware there are costly software programs and kits out there that could make life easier, however, my project objective is to carry out the conversion on a shoestring budget for the sake of achievement.

  I will greatly appreciate any advice on the above subject matter, as I'm sure others will too.

  Kindest Regards,

  Joe  "goslojo"