[Diy_efi] Project/temperature ranges

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Tue Feb 27 23:25:24 UTC 2007

--- "Steven P. Donegan" <steve at donegan.org> wrote:

> For the moment I am working more on function and
> less on boundary conditions - ie I am working with
> commercial temp range parts and 'reasonable' power
> supply fluctuations. Once the system works in those
> conditions I will indeed go to automotive/military
> temperature range components and expect zero
> goodness from vehicle power :-)

I am probably late making the comment, but you
probably stand a significant chance of having a bug
crop up during development that will eventually be
traced back to NOT having done something like spec'ing
for wider limits in temp, noise tolerance and/or power
supply issues.  If this happens, the time spent
debugging in the testing the design phase will likely
exceed the time (and effort) required to just spec out
parts to handle much larger environmental limits than
the basic "standard" you're using to get the thing off
the ground.

Of course, you might NOT run into a problem, and in
that case, you'd end up spending only a little more
time and effort to up-rate the design after basic
development.  But to me, it doesn't seem like the
initial effort would do anything but potentially speed
up development, and could potentially save you some
serious headaches...

| Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)       Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Velma)|
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |