[Diy_efi] Idle Musing: GM DIS on Jeep 4.0l

Cowen captain_krill
Wed Dec 29 14:59:29 UTC 2010

I've got DIS on the 3.4l in my MGA.? Now, I spent some lovely, relaxing time in the cold sunshine yesterday tinkering on my Jeep Family Wagon, and as I was cleaning the cap and rotor, I started thinking about how nice it would be to have DIS on the daily diver too!

The Jeep has a "Cam Position Sensor" in the distributor, so that would have to stay to satisfy the PCM.? It also has a "Crank Position Sensor" on the bell housing, reading off the flexplate, and that would likley have to be left there to satisfy the PCM as well.? So, I'm thinking I'd have to add another Crank Position Sensor , either on the bell housing somehow (depending on the number of notches on the flexplate), or on the crank pulley.?

The Jeep also has no knock sensor, so that would have to be bolted onto the block somewhere.

Now, I understand that Ford EDIS may be easier to add on to a system like this, but i have no experience with EDIS -never even seen one!? On the other hand, there's a spare GM DIS module with pigtails sitting in the garage...? I know that at some point, Jeep went to some form of DIS on the 4.0l,
but that was several PCMs later than mine.? I imagine getting that
hooked up would be as much work as a GM or FOrd setup, but I don't know
for sure.

I know there are threads about putting DIS on a number of vehicles, but I
 don't remember ever seeing this particular upgrade.? I figured that,
with the board being so slow, I'd ask if anyone can comment on the
feasibility (and maybe the details) of upgrading a 1996 4.0l
I6 Jeep engine to some kind of DIS?

Happy New Year, folks!?