[Diy_efi] Idle Musing: GM DIS on Jeep 4.0l

bhu678 at gmail.com bhu678
Thu Dec 30 01:46:03 UTC 2010

It's surely possible, I used an EDIS from a 90's escort to dump the
distributor on my '84 Nissan KingCab 4x4, and the difference was
impressive  and immediately obvious.  I used a MegaSquirt II/3.0 ECU to
send it advance timing, and that works very well also.  Eventually I
will finish the MS II side of it with tuned port fuel injection, but
that is going slowly as I am having to design my own fuel rail and
intake, since the z24 engine never came with port injection.  The EDIS
system is very reliable, well designed, and easy to find in junkyards.
It does require a 36-1 wheel and sensor, but these are easy to find/buy
also.  The spark from the ford coilpacks can only be described as
intimidating.  I am not looking forward to ever being shocked by one.
The Ford coils do have a non-standard, snap-lock connector on the plug
wires, but just use some 1/4" rope to get some good length measurements
between your coilpack mounting location and your plugs on the target
engine, then go shopping down at the junkyard.  Get the Motorcraft wires
ONLY, and they will almost always be fine.  A testament to how well
built they are is the number of Fords in the JY that still have the
original wires on them.  They can actually last longer than the car.
The reason for doing it this way is that the likelihood of a pre-made
wire set down at the parts store matching your TOTALLY nonstandard
application is practically zero.

Some links to check

DIY Automotive - The BEST place to buy a Megasquirt in the US
http://www.diyautotune.com/

Ebay search for EDIS, 36-1 wheel, and Megasquirt
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=%28EDIS%2C+%2236-1+wheel%22%2C+Megasquirt%29&_sacat=See-All-Categories
<http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=%28EDIS%2C+%2236-1+wheel%22%2C+Megasquirt%29&_sacat=See-All-Categories>

Megasquirt web site, EDIS info page
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm