[Diy_efi] Megasquirt

Aaron aaron
Sat Feb 19 00:11:39 UTC 2011

The key for me is the wiring harness. Updating, adjusting the length and
stripping out un-needed circuits of an OEM harness is very time consuming
and I'm just lazy that way. I'm also not keen on 20 year plastic when new
connectors are available.

If you still have the four barrel manifold, I really like the Holley Command
950 for ease of install and tuning. It has the added joy of a 4 injector,
four barrel throttle body. It looks cool and can dump way too much gas, if
that's what your into.

Howell and TurboCity both make "kits" for Chevy 350's. They can be setup
with a GM TBI, or Holley 4 Barrel TBI with a GM computer and sensors. With a
good kit, the chip has been tuned for you, so there is little to do except
bolt it on.

You could pick up the GM pieces and buy a harness and build your own kit.
Then the chip tuning could be handled with aftermarket stuff, like the
Moates.net website offers or DynamicEFI.com

I have no experience with the Megasquirt, but the build your own ECU opens
up a whole lot of failure modes. Also repair could get very interesting on
the road. Since the Megasquirt has so many options, the variables are so
numerous that only you would know how everything was built. There is no
factory manual.

With GM based kits, any GM mechanic could help you on the road if you're not
close to home.
With the Holley and Edelbrock kits, many gearheads could help.

Lastly, would be you horsepower. If you ZZ4 still makes close to 400 hp,
than none of the stock GM stuff will work right off the parts car. There is
some good information about this on the DynamicEFI website. (Thank you Bob
Rauscher)
http://www.dynamicefi.com/TBI_Fueling.php

This is just my opinion.
Whatever you do, keep us posted.