DIY WB update

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Fri Aug 14 02:56:22 GMT 1998

> OK great, I wanted to ask about this. I'm just beginning to study boost
> as a possible addition to our project engine. First, other than the Bell
> and McInnis (sp?) books, can you recommend anything? Neither of those
> books go much into intercooling, although the McInnis book has a just
> fantastic section on computing parameters for the turbo itself, from the
> turbo maps. I'm looking for something along the same lines in technical
> detail, but on intercoolers. Any suggestions?

The best way, is learning at someone's expense.  Volunteer to work on a
turbo race car/truck/tractor.  Lacking that, get to some races where all
there are turbos, and see what guys are doing.  I went to a Buick Turbo car
meet a few weeks ago, and in 3 days saw, learned, and talked with a bunch of
guys, that would have taken months of research otherwise.   Just looking at
a syclone, and GN can really be of benefit.  Might visit the ww.gnttype.org
site, and plunk around there (hint, relocated MAF "article").

> Second (sorry for all the questions :), could you or anyone else say the
> rough range of afr that a turbo motor likes to see? If we assume the
> sweat-spot for NA engines is around 12.5, is there any roughly similar
> rule of thumb for boost? If there isn't any "rule" like the 12.5, then
> maybe those using boost could say what afr their engines seem to like.
> Again, I'm just trying to get a rough handle on this as a learner. Tnx.

Depending on what strategy I'm running, mine likes 12.25, or 11.8.   Others
I know of run down to like 10.8.    It's a matter of what your engine is
telling you, and how your interupting that.   You also, get to the matter of
short term engine life, or endurance tuning.
Bruce