efi 165

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 17 15:09:11 GMT 1999

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> Don't assume.  TEST, TEST, TEST.
> The engine will tell you what it wants, and do that.  This tuning the engine
> to what you want is wrong.  Don't tune to run 36 degrees of advance.  Tune
> to what performs best.

That makes sense, but maybe the intent of my question didn't make it
through. What I'm looking for is a place to start. I'm thinking about
starting with the 'vette hack, but using iron head timing maps. I would
tune from there (hopefully with an EPROM emulator!). There would be a
lot of testing involved. I'll probably be riding around my neighborhood
sitting on a milk crate and tuning the motor. <G>...

>   In "general" the vette AL heads use less total advance, at WOT, and more
> cruise advance then the iron counterparts.
>   But, before ya do anything get some tools for measuring performance!!!..
> Overall gearing/tires/chassis weight/tranny type/fuel
> quality(octane)/driving style/EGR/converter design(torque), all play roles
> in how much timing your engine wants.

That's good to know. Great excuse to buy a G-tech, and not rely on my
hard to calibrate butt-o-meter. I like the phrase "it felt so much
faster" as much as you do... ;)

Thanks!

-Andrew