hot fuel module

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Aug 3 01:15:49 GMT 1999

Ward wrote:

> Interesting, we dont see many TBI injector problems in California, is there
> a gas quality problem,
I've only seen a handful of failed TBI injectors.  I have 2 that leak
out the top from an 88 Suburban.

>The only failure  I have wittnesed was failure to
> inject after sitting for a long period of time. A sharp rap w/screwdriver
> handel fixed that.
The injectors will get pretty rusty internally if they sit for a
while.  I have a few that are definitely DOA from the wrecking yard.

> The pressure hold problem will cause several problems with PFI, Hard
> starting in the mian symptom. Since the pump is held running by the Hobbs
> switch, the pressure will eventualy come up as oil pressure si applied.
>
> As the the Vapor issue, how can you have any vapr in a re-circulating fuel
> system, particularly when your always opening the valves (injectors)?
Not when it's running, but after it's shut off.  The fuel can boil and
the vapor will force liquid fuel out of the lines.  The result is the
same as air in the lines, the pump has to run long enough to get fuel
to the injectors.

Now if you want to see vapor problems, look at a Ford pickup with pfi
and 8 cyl engine.  The fuel can boil so fast in the rail that the pump
can't purge the vapor.  GM has done such a fine job preventing vapor
lock in their efi systems that it's easy to believe the problem's a
thing of the past, but it can definitely show up on hot days in a
heavily loaded vehicle.

Shannen