700R4 not shifting out of first.

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 11 23:52:05 GMT 1999

>One day, several years ago, the thing just didn't shift from first to
>second after starting it in the morn to go to work or college, can't
>remember which.

Well, since I bought this fancy -schmancy book anyway... ;)

"1st gear range only - no upshift"
1. Governor Assembly
    Governor valve sticking
    governor driven gear loose or damaged
    governor driven gear retaining pin missing
    nicks or burrs on output shaft
    governor weights or springs binding or missing
2. Valve body
    Shift valve sticking
    spacer plate or gaskets misaligned
3. Case
    Cast to valve body not flat or damaged
    Governor filter restricted or damaged
4. 2-4 Servo Assembly
    Restricted or blocked apply passages in case
    nicks or burrs on servo pin
    4th servo piston in backwards
5. 2-4 band assembly
    2-4 band worn or damaged
    band anchor pin not engaged

There's a little more detail - these were the highlights. Hope it helps...

~Andrew