ping

Jeff M tystorm at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 25 05:12:35 GMT 1999

I had an interesting time working on a friends Turbo Grand Prix.  It came to
me with a rough idle so, slapped on the Diacom and found a consistent line
of 7 degrees knock retard all the time, cool, a new one on me (just wait).
No engine noises and all things are fairly new on this car (I put in a while
ago; new injectors, some sensors and such), so I swap out the ECM with a
known good one (that is easier than swapping the knock sensor) and still 7
degrees all the time.  Swap out the knock sensor and still.  Pull out the
(single) knock wire from both connector ends and ohm it out, good wire and
not going to ground, even when shaking the engine by hand.  Check volts out
of ECM, fine here.  Pull out wire and visually inspect its entire length,
good again, check wire loom and no pinch or running near anything that could
cause a false ?  Tired of this stuff I just grab some twisted pair/shielded
cable and run a new wire in a new wire loom and in a different location and
presto, 7 degree knock gone and been so for 8 months (also tested it still
work by the usual thump test, and some higher boost, as we tuned up his chip
for 100 octane).  I also took the braided shield of this wire and on one end
(did not want to create a ground loop) secured it to a good ground, with
other ground wires.

(always up to a new challenge)
Jeff Middaugh
tystorm at email.msn.com