Traction Control & Racing

Dave Z dzug at mail.delanet.com
Wed Aug 25 20:11:07 GMT 1999

> What gearing would an SVT Cobra need to go faster?  Can't they already spin
> their tires in first gear?

"better" would be a better word than faster.. and it depends on what
you are after. personally if I could have gearing between 3.90 and
4.00 in my 5.7 I would be crossing the 1/4 mile line at my peak HP in
3rd gear (1:1). that would be "better" but I sacrifice the
theoretical 179 mph top end that the engineers chose to gear my car to.
<two-seventy-WHAT?>

> > Well, if I may stick my opinion in again, I haven't found one OEM car on
> > the market that is geared for true performance in ANY sense.

1987 Regal Grand National. 3.42's, V-6 245 HP and 30 mpg.
okay maybe not geared line the 1967 whatevers.. but the engineers
were given a mission they accomplished: "FASTEST PRODUCTION CAR" and
the gearing ends up putting it over the 1/4 just above peak HP in
3rd. Now if you call "true" performance to include off-corner accelleration..
well okay.

uh humm.. sorry I got defensive there.. you really gotta drive one of
those though. I'm having doubts as to wether I'll ever have the iroc
w/ supercharger even close to the mostly stock buick ET.

bruce help.. I lost the ECM content again!
Dave Z - 87 GN 12.74 @ 105 w/1.84 60'
               13.02 @ 103 on 94 octane
       - 89 IROC 5.7 Now Supercharged!
       - 89 Turbocharged GP 13.9 (retired)