730 in a 730 - troubles

Jeremy Gonyou jgonyou at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 30 01:50:41 GMT 1999

> >   Just bought new a memcal.  Soldered in AMP socket, popped in STOCK
>chip.
> > Same deal: SES light, no codes (Note: the car behaves this way with no
>chip
> > installed at all).
>
>This is back up fuel, aka limp home mode.

Ah, but what would cause this.  Bad reading from the prom, or faulty memcal,
both?

> >   New hypothesis:  Ruining connections when testing memcal for
>continuity.
> >
> >   Yes, that's all I've got at this point.  I'd really appreciate and
>ideas
> > from the group.  Listed below is my procedure, maybe someone can pick up
>on
> > a bone-headed mistake:)
> >      Test unmodified memcal in car

>Stock memcal works ok?
Yep.

> >      solder out stock chip
> >      solder in AMP socket
> >      burn stock data on a fresh chip
> >      check pins for continuity (using a multimeter and solid core wire
> > get into the bottom end of the memcal)

>How large is the wire?
The wire is 20-22 guage if I remeber correctly.

>  Do you have continuity on all terminals?
Yep.  Checked this several times on the first try, started me thinking...

>Does the fresh burned chip still read correctly?

Yeah, the chip is always fine when I pull it out of the socket.  However,
I've got bad readings from reading out of the bottom of the memcal before
using a homemade adapter.  Once it screwed up the entire file, the other
time it was just the checksum.  Which reminds me, is there a checksum
enable/disable on the 7730?

> >      pull ecm fuse and install newly modified memcal
> >      reinstall ecm fuse, start car

>Is your eprom the same type as the factory prom?  Did the factory prom
>survive the removal process so you can try it now?

Actually, I bought a new, stock corsica memcal so I could destroy the
original prom.    I have good data for several different cars: sunbird,
corsica ... I tried each of them to no evail.

>Silly question, but is the eprom oriented correctly?
Pinched edge to the outside.

>Shannen
Thanks for your ideas...

Jeremy