TPS failures - better designs?

Peter Gargano peter at ntserver.techedge.com.au
Thu Dec 2 02:19:10 GMT 1999

Dear EFI gurus,

I was at the wreckers (bone yard?) yesterday. Seems
that the Throttle Position Sensor is a common point
of failure. Being a novice when it comes to GM EFI
hardware, I figured that a better design than a simple
pot (potentiometer, or "variable resistor") was in
order. Having recently played with a Hall Effect sensor,
for ignition pickup, I also figured that a simple TPS,
both reliable and robust, could be done cheaply and
easily with just such a Hall Effect device.

As we all know, "there's nothing new under the sun"...
So, here's the EFI content:

  Are there any Hall effect TPS sensors around?

Or, perhaps a better question is:

  Are there more reliable TP sensors than simple pots?

TIA,
--
Peter Gargano