Beginning at the beginning

DAVE_HEMPSTEAD at HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com DAVE_HEMPSTEAD at HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Fri Feb 5 13:42:19 GMT 1999

Hi everyone,
   I'm working on reverse engineering a 16188051 ECM (from a 95 Camaro LT-1).
I've received alot of help from others already on this list (you guys know who
you are).
   In my travels working on this, I've developed some software tools (as have
many other people) to help me unscramble the contents of the flash part,
disassemble the code into assembly mnemonics, find all accesses to individual
memory locations, find all labels and label references.
   I'm currently working on a software tool to convert the assembly code into
C-like code, to make it more readable and more easily understood.  This is
proving to be a tougher challenge than I had originally expected (so what else
is new).

   Before I got into this insane hobby of reverse-engineering my car's computer,
I put together a quicky SW scanner tool which hooks up to my ALDL port (again,
having received lots of help from others who have plowed this ground before me).

   I'll second David Cooley's comments about getting started.  You NEED the
microprocessor data book (I'm also using the 68HC11 book).  You also need to
learn the assembly code for this chip.

   I haven't found any schematics or wiring diagrams for the board in my ECM.
Having done reverse engineering work many years ago, I've found that to be
extremely useful.

   Has anyone traced out the PC board in their ECM???

   I've put all my stuff (well, not all the tools) up on my web page:
           http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/1624

   I'd be very interested in hearing about other's experiences and tools they've
developed to reverse engineer their computers (especially LT-1's :-)

   I'd suppose that since I'm so focussed on my ECM, naturally I'd vote that
'we' work on it :-)

Dave Hempstead
95 Camaro LT-1 ECM
96 Impala SS engine/trans (with MAF)