Delco for a Toyota

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Tue Feb 9 23:16:41 GMT 1999

Let me know if this is too elementary for this list.

   I have been told that a Delco 1227749 is a good conversion for a
Toyota 3T-GTE.  The 3T-GTE is a 1.8l four, turbocharged, and normally
uses Nippondenso MAF (L-jet?).
   The problem is that although I have located the engine, it doesn't
have a computer.  I can find a Delco ECU and harness anywhere, but
finding a factory setup for the Toyota is going to be very hard, since
they were never sold new in the US.
   Next (biggest) problem is that I am NOT a programmer and really know
nothing about what happens inside engine management!  Would anyone like
to help me explore the options here?  I do have an L-jet setup from a
Toyota 4A-GE (NA MR2 style), but would it be at all appropriate?  I
think (!) converting to a MAP system would be better for horsepower
potential (no AFM restriction), but if it's not practical, is the L-jet
a viable option?
   Is anyone offering programs for the Delco that are ready-made for
this engine?
   BTW I have located the Delco unit, but it is only offered "minus
PROM".  Forgive my ignorance, but I am assuming that is the chip....
   Anybody care to point a newbie in the right direction?

TIA

Aaron Willis