7730 ARDC, AZTY, and other V6's

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Mon Jul 5 21:07:39 GMT 1999

Doug wrote:

<snipped good info>
>easier it becomes like a puzzle.   I did find the min. temp for the EGR.  I
>will set this to $FF.  That is the best way to disable it, because it
>causes the calculations to work correctly.  Right now I just blocked the
>EGR tube  and the computer was happy (no light).  The address in mine was
>$8E8B = 66c = 154F,  if I am right.....  I am surprised that not many
>people realize what a performance and gas milage killer the EGR is.  There
>is no benefit of it that I can tell.

Well, the benefit is lower NOX emissions. But, I was surprised at the
performance increase. Was totally unexpected, and started myself
thinking, which can be dangerous in it's own right. The egr ducks-out
with the smallest amount of acceleration, so why the performance
difference?

Maybe it has to do with lowering the heat input to the engine. The
intake
tract will run cooler, so you should be able to get a cooler charge. The
other will be how dirty the throttle body gets, or lack thereof. These
things get filthy, causing all kinds of problems. The only thing adding
grime is the egr, and wow, does it! (ever clean a TB, it's looks like
the
inside of a sewer pipe {don't ask})

Maybe timing lag, as the SA is lag filtered with the egr?

>     OK I just looked at the AZTY.  Look at address $4494 and following
>(which is actually $C494).  It looks like the coolant is address $4D (in
>mine its $4B) and that is compared to $8EEF.  That should be the min EGR

Dead on Doug <g>, I changed the $8EEF to 0xff, and the egr doesn't come
on. Also disconnected the wires to it, and checked for trouble codes,
none. Looking good...

>temp.  Also AZTY is the same on the EGR bit which is $2B,#10.  I think that
>is the EGR on/off.  Look at this and see if I am right.  All or some of
>this could be wrong.  hehehe...............Anyway all of my notes are hand
>written on the printout.  maybe I could copy them later on and then scan or
>mail them to you all somehow....if I can be of help let me

BobR.