Tuning 165 for SC - and ALUM Heads

CSH-HQ nacelp at jvlnet.com
Thu Jul 8 02:26:14 GMT 1999

>> Date:          Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:54:58 -0500
>> To:            gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
>> From:          nacelp at jvlnet.com (CSH-HQ)
>> Subject:       Re: Tuning 165 for SC - and ALUM Heads
>
>> Had you been reading the plugs?..

>No

Look for fly sized turds of black or silver material on the center
electrodes.  That should at least give a clue about which cylinders were
detonating.

>> Where did/how did the gasket fail?

>Rad fluid into cyllinder, 3 consecutive hard WOT runs  on a 103 degre
>day.

I meant where, between cylinders, or to which coolant jacket opening.

>> If ARAP, are you doing something trick, or running MAF?
>
>MAF, It is MAXXED out (255) at about 3200 rpm. O2 shows 0.89 - 0.91
>thru the RPM's
>
>> What are you doing for reading the addition Air Flow?
>
>Not a thing at this point. Ideas? I can make a custom housing for the
>MAF electronics section but I do not know what to bump on the ECM. 3"
>or 3.5" MAF maybe... -OR- maybe a TWIN MAF setup.. I get the concept
>of that but would need guidance for code changes.  - OR- should I go
>1-bar MAP and scrap the MAF.  decisions.. I need help with all
>avenues, whatever one I take. so far with no guidance, I'm scared to
>strike ont and commit.

How about 2 bar (up to 14 PSI boost) MAP.  Just use the 749, since it also
is hacked.  Or use a larger MAF and translater.  Twuns make it too conplex
to my fible mind.

>> What for addition fuel (pump+injectors)?
>
>Syclone Pump, adj regulator at this point. nothing else. stock
>injectors. If I have to run less boost I'll do that for now. The car
>ran a 13.50 @ 103, I estimate the setup added 80-90HP to the stock
>225. I don't know the limits of the stock injectors as far as HP
>goes.

I'd guess 345 HP if a fll weight car.  So you might be at their limit if
19-21s.  Specially if never been cleaned.
The SBC uses 5 head bolts per chamber so you were at a more than slight problem.

Please use a good oil/ai seperator for the PVC.