Forgotten WIN Utility (was Re: M6811...)

jgwynne at mrcday.com jgwynne at mrcday.com
Fri Jul 9 20:42:42 GMT 1999

   In message <199907091904.PAA23002 at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu>, you write:

| > with large segments of common code in different ecm's, I'm thinking about a
| > auto-commenting package that could correlate code segments and copy
| > comments from a commented source code to one that is not. It may only
| > be appropriate for 80% of the code, but I think it would be easier to
| > fix 20% than to start from scratch. any thoughts?

<delete>

| One of the features in the package I wrote (win32) allows you to
| search for these "chunks" simply by searching for a set of 5 or 6
| consecutive bytes that exist in the common chunk. nothing
| fancy like disassembly, but it gives you a list of locations for

Will there be a good enough correspondence in the binaries since table
and jump addresses within the code will be different? A binary
correlation would give a ROM answer, but I don't believe accurate
enough to transfer comments. comments must align to within an
opcode. Are you proposing to modify your code to try this?

I'm proposing a correlation that would not include addresses, of any
type, that would be position dependent. The correlation must be
accurate enough to transfer comments.

john gwynne