3800 series II swap, please read :)

Kevin speakerconnection at home.com
Fri Jul 9 22:32:30 GMT 1999

Hello all...

I hope everyone is well... I have been a reader of the list for some time now, and have been learning what I can from the archives, and this list. As an electrical engineering student, I've taken it upon myself to try a motor swap.  I am located in Toronto, and through the list, have found Terry Kelly in CA to help me.  Without him, I'm sure I'd be lost!  The reason I am writing concerns two problems I have had with the swap.  The 3800 series II motor is a 97, and was put into a 1988 Buick Lesabre T-type.  I am still using the original tranny (440-T4) and motor mounts. The ecm was changed with lots of online help from Terry, to a 92 bonneville , a 16141470 if I'm not mistaken, could be wrong there :)

The car has been running great for a while now... the VATS was disabled, and the tranny flags were set to a 440 as this ecm supports both the 440 and the 4t-60e.  The problems the car is having is VSS, and idle. the VSS the ecm see's is much more than it should be. The 440 has a 14tooth generator, and the 4t60e has a 31 I believe. The ecm see's approx double (not sure cause I don't know my actual speed) and the speedo was way off, so I changed to the 2k output of the ecm, and it is still off by about 20% or so. hoping for any input on this?

The idle problem is that of a not-so-smooth one. The coil pack has been swapped with one from a GTP and it didn't help. The plugs are brand new AC's.  The wires were changed. I have verified twice that there is no vacuum leak (pretty sure there!), I just pulled the injectors and found that they are NOT leaking at all... however I don't know if they are clogged. The motor had 5k km on it when I got it. and it runs really well outside of the idle not being silk like it should be.  I don't know if the MAF tables may effect the idle at all.. or if it's just running lean in general, but when it goes closed loop, it's still not silky.  Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated..

Yours Truly,

Kevin margitta

Speakerconnection at home.com

3800 series II S/C lesabre