M6811DIS Disassembler

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Tue Jul 13 02:38:08 GMT 1999

I have wrestled with this also. Generated assembler is hard to understand,
especially without comments, unless you work with it daily. As you are
planning to identify patterns, how about translating some of them into
macros and "shorten" the code. A replacement of generated labels with
understood abbreviations would also be helpful.

If you could also identify pseudo code, then translating the code into C or
BASIC would be easier. By this I mean identify  "if { } then {  } else {
}"  and create the appropriate comments/code snippets.  With "if A > B then
x,y,z ." compilers often generate "compare a,b if  <=  branch to C  x,y,x
Label C. " . It gets real messy with compound if 's then else's but the
original code is easy(ier) to follow.

With a small amount of work, I'll generate a "GMECM-Basic" compiler w/macro
assembler for the HC11, (I have most of it done) just give me the macros and
pseudo code (like "search tableX returning valueY").  We can then change the
code at will and generate new BIN files for downloading. We can change more
than the tables......   Tom Sharpe

PS Been doing this for 30 years, It's easy if the code is readable and
understandable....

I'm also trying to do a CPU transplant of an HC11 with an HC12 (faster, 16
bit with good C compiler support and BDM interface) to make programming
easier.