3800 series II swap, please read :)

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 15 22:44:44 GMT 1999

At 06:34 PM 7/15/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Well.. I just tried it again after sitting for a half an hour.. and it did
>the same thing... tough to start... (2 secs).... and a puff of black smoke
>like it's rich...
>turned it off... and I can start it over and over once it's cleared...
>after 5 mins, 10 mins.. it starts perfectly...
>if I wait 30 - 60 mins, hard to start
>you are sure that this fuel wouldn't do it?
>
>It was fine before the cleaning... I'm not saying that it is definatly the
>problem, I just can't see what else it can be.  Everything is connected.. it
>sees all values...... there is no tube in the intake.. the K and N is right
>on the TB.. and the MAF is hitachi, in the TB... so right now I can't see
>anything else being the case

It's possible that after 30-60 minutes there is more than just the tip of
the injector being filled with fuel...  I'd throw a FP guage on the fuel
rail and see how far it drops after 30 minutes or so... Sounds like the
injectors are leaking quite a bit more than they should to make it so rich
it smokes... 5-10 drops won't do that!
I'd also aske the guy that cleaned them to show you documentation that they
are "allowed" to drip a certain amount... All the service manuals I've
looked at show that the pressure shouldn't drop more than 1-2 PSI after an
hour and should still have pressure after sitting all night.

            David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
    Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!