AS6811 Assembler is now online!!

Donald Whisnant dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 19 15:53:23 GMT 1999

>Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:37:18 -0400
>From: jgwynne at mrcday.com
>Subject: Re: AS6811 Assembler is now online!!
>
>it's been maybe 6 years since I used this assembler (maybe an earlier
>version), but as I recall it's functionality was nowhere close to that
>of the gnu tools: m6811-nm, m6811-strip, m6811-ar, m6811-objcopy,
>m6811-as, m6811-objdump, m6811-ranlib, m6811-gasp, m6811-size,
>m6811-ld, m6811-strings (all the tools have been ported). Has that
>changed?
>
>john gwynne

John...

Much to my chagrin, I haven't tried the gnu tools for the 6811,
though I probably should have -- especially now that I'm running
Linux! ...

I do know that Alan's assembler is far far superior to the
Motorola freeware tools, but they probably are not better than
the gnu tools -- though I haven't done a comparison recently...

Also, Alan's tool have changed dramatically in the last 4-5 years,
so probably it was an older version that you were using...  Back
in '95, I was using an older version of his tools -- 0.9 sounds
right or was it 0.6?? can't remember...  But after running into
some limitations and problems, I contacted Alan and found he'd
already released 1.5 which is a great package...  Since then, he's
improved it even more and ported to other systems (like Linux) with
his 2.1 version...

I guess I need to take time and compare these against the gnu tools...

Donald Whisnant
dewhisna at ix.netcom.com