a MAF too small

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Thu Jul 22 09:18:44 GMT 1999

> From:          "Peter Fenske" <pfenske at bcit.bc.ca>
> To:            gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Date:          Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:32:13 -0700
> Subject:       Re: a MAF too small

> Hi Dave
>
> Lots of ways to do this..
>
> The best way to do the Maf is to borrow a Mustang idea like Bruce
> said is to add a bypass to the Maf.. Mustang Mafs do their metering
> in a bypass tube.. So if you bypass the 50% of the Maf you will read
> half the air flow..

thi makes sense.. if I dont need double then I can only do part of
the air in a bypass and maybe have good idle. I'd settle for 255 @
4500 rpm, 5psi.

> UNFORTUNATELY the number in the software stop at 255 gms/sec..
> Not important though if you take it with a grain of salt..

but thats okay because 250 will actiually be 300 if I adjust the MAF
tables.. and as long as I tell the thing to do 10:1 at 250 g/s..
and 11:1 at 200 g/s am I getting it?

> Do what most people do and run a richer PE than required.
> \
> I would go on a hunch that unless you see a Maf error
> I would use the PE table to enrich the mix.. 10 to 1 NA would
> be prob 13 to one with 6 psi boost.. Start max PE enrich..
> IE set it to 40% rich or so

thanks peter.. I'll start looking at the PE. I hadn't considered that
far yet. I thought this would fall on its face in here.

> Now the sy software I have been looking at seriously..
> I still am not 100% sure the why for of the second FMD and
> injector driver.. All my looks at the software say this isn't used
> in the sy application.. The sy app looks like it doesn't even
> read the calpak.. all you have to do is change the CyL contant
> to 00 so it seems.. Crank enrichment is not sweat either.
>
> It isn't that bad to switch the wires.. Don't know if I have time
> to try it in my vette though.. Any takers::?????

Maybe if this MAF re-cal looks like a bad idea, we'll see. If the
wiring isnt that bad and you lead on the CAL work I'm in ;-)

Dave Z. www.delanet.com/~tgp