I'm new to EFI and need some help.

SprintC41 at aol.com SprintC41 at aol.com
Thu Jul 22 16:02:24 GMT 1999

	First I need to fill you in on a little background of where I'm at.
I build race cars called Mini-Sprints.  Basically they are small versions of
a 410 Outlaw Winged Sprinter.  We run an Open Wheel Midget chassis with
motorcycle engines, and a wing.  There are many different classes, i.e.
600cc, 750cc and 1200cc open (or outlaw).  We run the 1200cc open class in
Wisconsin.  I presently run two different engines. 1 car is using a 1991
Suzuki Katana 1100 engine, bored to 1204cc, 13/1 compression, Dyna 2000
ignition, with 50mm Hilborn Fuel Injection, running on Methanol.  The second
car is running a 1996 Suzuki GSXR1100W, bored to 1127, 12/1 compression, Dyna
2000 ignition, Kinsler Fuel injection and also on Methanol.
	We all run the same basic fuel injection systems,  .086 - .095 jet,
9AS nozzles at 20lbs fuel pressure.  I would like to run an EFI system, but
the cost of purchasing a Kinsler or other system is outrageous, $5000-$7000.
EFI is the way to go, and very few people are running it.  I need information
on building my own.  Where do I start?  What do I need?  Presently I run a
crank driven pump.  Do I need to go to an electric with a EFI system?  I need
better fuel control in mid range and high rev's.  Very hard to do with
conventional fuel injection.  Any suggestions on starting points for me?
Also the engine rules say, "naturally aspirated engine".  That rules out
turbo.  But I can set it up ram air.  What would that do for me?