I'm new to EFI and need some help.

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 22 16:51:32 GMT 1999

At 12:02 PM 7/22/99 -0400, you wrote:
>         First I need to fill you in on a little background of where I'm at.
>I build race cars called Mini-Sprints.  Basically they are small versions of
>a 410 Outlaw Winged Sprinter.  We run an Open Wheel Midget chassis with
>motorcycle engines, and a wing.  There are many different classes, i.e.
>600cc, 750cc and 1200cc open (or outlaw).  We run the 1200cc open class in
>Wisconsin.  I presently run two different engines. 1 car is using a 1991
>Suzuki Katana 1100 engine, bored to 1204cc, 13/1 compression, Dyna 2000
>ignition, with 50mm Hilborn Fuel Injection, running on Methanol.  The second
>car is running a 1996 Suzuki GSXR1100W, bored to 1127, 12/1 compression, Dyna
>2000 ignition, Kinsler Fuel injection and also on Methanol.
>         We all run the same basic fuel injection systems,  .086 - .095 jet,
>9AS nozzles at 20lbs fuel pressure.  I would like to run an EFI system, but
>the cost of purchasing a Kinsler or other system is outrageous, $5000-$7000.
>EFI is the way to go, and very few people are running it.  I need information
>on building my own.  Where do I start?  What do I need?  Presently I run a
>crank driven pump.  Do I need to go to an electric with a EFI system?  I need
>better fuel control in mid range and high rev's.  Very hard to do with
>conventional fuel injection.  Any suggestions on starting points for me?
>Also the engine rules say, "naturally aspirated engine".  That rules out
>turbo.  But I can set it up ram air.  What would that do for me?

Check the DIY website... Lot's of info there on the different systems and
the FTP site has a lot of reverse engineered info as well.
As to ram air, unless you get up to 200+ MPH, gains won't really be seen.
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!