I'm new to EFI and need some help.

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Jul 22 17:12:35 GMT 1999

>crank driven pump.  Do I need to go to an electric with a EFI system?  I need

Depends on what fuel pressure you want in the fuel rail, and how much
pressure your pump provides.  If you have a 10 psi pump, toss it.  If
your unit can achieve the typical 40-45 psi, then depending on the fuel
flow requirements (size of injectors combined with RPM) you can
determine if its usable.

>conventional fuel injection.  Any suggestions on starting points for me?

You're going to find the less costly DIY EFI systems are not designed to
handle the possible 12,000 RPMs that some motorcycle engines can do.  A
lot of research might be necessary to find a suitable, lower cost than
the particular one you mentioned.  The DFI system (on a V8 at least)
works well to about 8.5K RPM then tends to get confused.  The
Electromotive system is rated to 8k, and does that just fine.  But these
are 4, 6, 8 cylinder EFI systems I mentioned, and I'm sure the reason
for the higher cost of the EFI system you mentioned is strictly the RPM
limitation being so much higher.

>Also the engine rules say, "naturally aspirated engine".  That rules out
>turbo.

Yes it does.

>But I can set it up ram air.  What would that do for me?

It would add a nice amount of drag to your bike, as unless you have a
really well designed "ram" as well as a much higher top speed (in the
160mph and up range), the ram air device will simply cause parasitic
drag, as your engine can't suck the air in fast enough.

Also, I've seen some nice looking air rams that look neat but get less
air, due to them sitting too low to the hood or in a poor location,
whereas the air moving over the vehicle goes OVER the ram, i.e. meaning
the ram is below the boundry layer in the airstream.  Shit, what did I
just say?  Anwyay,  the late modem "Ram Air" trans-am is one such
vehicle :)

For the 1999 Trans-Am 1hp gain if you take the ram hoses off the hood
and put them behind the headlight mechanism :)  My friend tried it
several times, and at least on his car, it appears to be true, using one
of those dash-mounted G-Force HP meter things.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology

Tele: (203) 372-2707