a MAF too small

Jason Haines jhaines at lingenfelter.com
Sat Jul 24 14:49:50 GMT 1999

Regarding the minimum flow rates, you do need to make sure you are not at
the bottom of the scale at warmed up idle but we have used this technique
(the two MAF method) as have other companies when nothing else would work
(I have even seen a GM development vehicle with two MAFs but only one
connected but I was told they had also doubled the MAF g/s to frequency
table in the calibration - in the example described with the 1986 to 1989
that is not possible the table is already at the maximum of 255 g/s and
with the voltage type MAF the range is fixed 0 to 5 volts unlike the
frequency type that often have much more range than the vehicle ever uses).

On modified engines you are usually idling at a higher g/s than stock
(especially if you have a larger engine and a higher than stock idle speed)
so you can usually half the scale at still not have gone below the bottom
of the table. One thing to do on voltage based systems would be to check
your warmed up idle voltage from the MAF - stock is 0.5 to 0.7 volts. If
you are higher than this on a modified engine then you have some room left
in the table. Keep in mind a lot of the calibrations are designed for very
low idle speeds (525 rpm in some cases).

Finding a larger (higher flow range - not restriction) 0 to 5 Vdc Bosch
type meter has not been easy either. It seems that in those cases where
higher ranges were needed, some of the OEMs also went to two MAFs (Nissan
Skyline, BMW M5, Mercedes V12 etc...).

So who feels like making an analog averaging circuit for two 0 to 5 Vdc
signals? You could leave the burn off circuit attached to just one MAF or
make it operate both MAFs if you wanted.  8-)  (What would the time delay
in such a circuit be?)

Jason