Can you name this tune?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Mon Jul 26 13:53:07 GMT 1999

> Hi, All.
> Ran into an aftermarket chip today, I'm curious as to the tuner.
> Vehicle is a 91 Vette w/6spd, 727 ecm.
> Various stickers on the memcal, normally blue cover is painted gold.
> Happy face sticker over the eprom window.
> Sticker on the side reads
> 400-218 BRAIN
> 91Y-6M-345
> LEVEL II F 380
>
> There are two stickers on the bottom which read
> F380    90-1-W
>
> Any ideas?
> Shannen

Shannen,

   I was reading through a back issue of Corvette Fever, dated
June 1998, and happened upon an article about an 87 Corvette with
tons of mods that runs 10.72 @ 132 mph w/1.41 60' times.  The car
is a naturally-aspirated 421 cu in with .714 lift and supposedly
630 HP.
   That's what the article is mostly about, but right in the
middle of the text is the following: "What started out as a peek
into fuel injection has morphed into a business of providing
consultation and custom programming to elite engine builders and
Corvette specialty shops all over the world.  [...]  If you
don't know Jim Formato and your PROM has a happy face maybe your
car knows him!"
   So, I did a metacrawler search on Formato, and discovered he
runs TPI Performance Consultants in Tampa, FL, and that he won
at least two of the Vette-vs-Viper shootouts with the above mentioned
car.

   Have fun,

   Marc

--