3800 series II swap in Lesabre T-type~440T4/4T60/4T60E

Jeff M tystorm at email.msn.com
Mon Jul 26 16:41:31 GMT 1999

For all considering the 440T4 (4T60/4T60E family), you should know that
those original trannies had lots of problems AND were not much for handling
power.  The good news is those inherent problems can now be resolved and the
tranny will handle some power.  As with all things, it is your preference on
a manual or stick but the stick was never intended/or will do well to
handle more that 180 lb ft and the 4T65E is up to 300 lb ft.  I will detail
a few key things below on this 440T4 tranny but you can always (and it is
good reading) go to:

http://transonline.net
http://www.thegrid.net/thedrivetrainpage
http://www.atraonline.com   (and check out their "Gears" back issues)
http://www.bantapubnet.com
http://www.transgo.com  (they have a very complex but thorough shift
kit/fix)
http://www.altousa.com  (great 2nd clutch and 4th clutch problem resolves)
http://www.members.aol.com/atsgmo2/atsg.htm
http://www.transtec.com

The best thing to do is to go with the TransGo shift kit, BIG kit with much
more than some balls, gaskets and a few directions to drill some holes.
This kit takes 1.5 hours even for the avid tranny guy so this should tell
you how thorough this setup it.  Alto makes corrected parts for the
problematic 2nd and 4th gear clutch areas.  At the above sights are a few
other areas to consider but those may be included in the TransGo shift kit
(I will be comparing the kit to those other items as soon as I get another
kit, though I do have a kit in my car, the installing tranny shop would not
give me a look).  Make sure to flush the cooling lines and fill the tranny
as indicated in the TransGo kit and that is 4 quarts over the fill line
(yes, that is what I said).  Also use a good synthetic tranny fluid such as
Mobil 1 or Red Line and ADD a tranny cooler, stacked plate is best for size
and BTU consideration.

Good luck and I will keep those updated as to any revisions found.

Jeff Middaugh
tystorm at email.msn.com
1993 GMC Typhoon
1990 McLaren Turbo Grand Prix

> I also am looking into swapping a 5spd for the T4-440 in my Cutlass
>Supreme.  Could you please copy me in any response also.

> Thanks,
> Jamie
>
> Jamison Bartz
> BIOS Development Engineer
> Compaq Computer Corporation
> Phone: 281-518-3372
> Pager: 281-722-5370
> E-Mail: jamison.bartz at compaq.com

> Hey all, hope everyone is well..
>
> The reason I am now writing is to thank everyone for the advice on the
> injector cleaning. After getting them to stop leak.. the idle has really
> improved a lot. They were pretty off balance.
>
> A day after getting it all right.... I blew my tranny... 2nd and 3rd slip
> pretty bad on my T4-440.  I am looking at putting in a 4T-60E and have
> seen that these trannies are still used today in the Monte Carlo and
lumina's..
> does anyone know which one would have a 3.06 final drive ratio?
>
> My other option I have been very slightly thinking about, is using a 5spd
> from a 94 Z-24... are there any thoughts on this..?? would there be
> problems with code in the EPROM? am I making too much of a headache in
>work ? I know I need a clutch.... pedal, master cylinder... has this ever
been >done before?   Any response is greatly appreciated.. hope to hear from
you >all soon.